Phew! What a whirlwind. It’s hard to believe this class is already over, feels like it just started yesterday. The amount of things we’ve learned and types of media we’ve “mastered” (I use that word very lightly) is unbelievable. Although I struggled with the amount of work and keeping up, I really enjoyed learning how to make videos and sound files and use different software.
For my final project, I wanted to do a little bit of everything and as soon as I figured out what my character was, I came up with a million different ways to tell the story. While it was a lot to undertake, I couldn’t justify cutting anything out. In the end, I feel like the story tells itself through the media, but I wanted to add some narration to give it all a decisive direction.
If you would like to read the whole story, you can find it here. For the purpose of this summary post however, I will just put all the media in order and let it speak for itself.
The gifs were probably the easiest part of my final project. There are a million different places to find videos of the night sky, so the hardest part about that was to pick the ones that I thought fit the mood of my project the best. The Station Wagon one was a bit harder, however. It wasn’t until I complained to my mother that I couldn’t find a good video of a family travelling via SW and she listed off a bunch of movies that had that in them that I was able to find the right clip to make into a gif.
The video for my final project was the most fun of everything I did. I found four videos of shuttle launches and then I chopped them up into bits and rearranged them. The hours I spent trying to get them in just the right order were pretty enjoyable, and once I added the soundtrack it all came together very nicely with a little bit of tweaking. The song in the background is Starlight, by Muse, and it has just the right amount of upbeat energy to give a sense of adventure and hopefulness to the compilation video.
Ahhh, the Space Camp poster. That was the most difficult in terms of technical skill of all the parts of the final project. I made four different posters before I finally found one that felt right aesthetically and to the story. The photo background was the thing that really pulled it all together, but the crumpled paper texture I applied was the icing on the proverbial cake. When I was younger, I spent a lot of time playing around on photoshop trying to make things that were designed well and had a good color scheme etc, all with disastrous results. While the poster is certainly not a masterpiece, it is a project that I am very proud of. The degree and acceptance letter were both easy in comparison. I simply had to find pictures of both of those things and edit them to fit the character I had made. The letter from NASA posed a new challenge because of the texture of the background, but with the combination of a couple different photoshop brushes, I was able to replicate it passingly.
The sound clip also gave me a lot of grief. There are no shortage of sound clips of astronauts and launches and all sorts of space related things, but the problem was that I couldn’t find individual sounds to put together. In the end, I downloaded a bunch of different versions of the Apollo 11 launch and picked the one that fit the sound track the best. I took out some superfluous parts, and managed the volume levels to make it all come together as best I could.